San Jose Quality of Life Petition
Join over 100 fellow residents! Please take 30 seconds to submit a petition requesting that the San Jose City Council take immediate steps to begin creating specific plans for neighborhoods where an influx of new residents are planned to ensure that their needs, and those of existing residents, will be met.
THE TEXT OF THE PETITION FOLLOWS. SCROLL DOWN TO SUBMIT THE PETITION
The City of San Jose is in need of a vision for responsible and equitable growth in San Jose. This issue has been amplified recently by proposals for 6-8 story apartment complexes without a corresponding plan or effort to ensure that the quality of life needs of new and existing residents will be met. For example, there are five projects in the pipeline or being built 5 stories or more with hundreds of new “affordable” units in the Alum Rock corridor.
I insist on responsible and equitable growth for all council districts. All city council districts need:
- Equitable small business and economic investment to facilitate neighborhoods where people can easily have all of their needs met within a 15-minute radius. Spread the wealth throughout the city.
- Adequate parking for working families. Not all workers have the luxury of working remotely, using rideshare services, and/or flexible work start times. For some families, a vehicle is the only way to ensure their children have safe travel to school or daycare. Do not neglect their unique vehicle and transportation needs.
- Stable housing for all without burdening neighborhoods with excessive building heights. Do not approve plans for new apartment and condominium complexes outside the downtown core that exceed five stories.
- Smart and planned growth. Eliminate “form-based” zoning, which allows developments to proceed without approval as long as they meet certain criteria, throughout San Jose.
- Access to healthy, nutritious and locally sourced food. Facilitate new grocery stores whenever an influx of new homes are approved.
- Nearby access to green space, fitness, sports and recreational facilities. These basic needs must not be neglected. The City must take steps to provide this access when it is lacking.
- Health and safety risks responded to, and addressed, in a timely manner.
I request that you take immediate steps to begin creating specific plans for neighborhoods where an influx of new residents are planned to ensure that their needs, and those of existing residents, will be met. I also request that you immediately begin adhering to the resident needs identified above.